Say it Ain't So!

bobmc

NZ softballer sent packing and other news....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per Baseball America, Jake Pettit and Pita Rona among few from minors released by the Orioles.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">December 24, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Um... Trading Basallo doesn't shorten our window to 1-2 years. What will shorten our window of being the best team in baseball is if we go cheap and don't extend superstars like Adley/Gunnar/Holliday. OR if those who we choose to extend suffer injuries and are never the same level ballplayers. I don't see a realistic scenario where loosing one of Basallo/Mayo/Kjerstad shortens our window.
    • Yeah I think he goes back down along with McKenna when Hays comes back with Norby joining him.  They want Ryan for a defensive replacement in the outfield while Hays is out but once Hays is there he can be that guy and then Norby can come in and play some second and also outfield.  Elias has said he very close so that tells me he is here by June 1 if not earlier.  
    • A Miller move would be for more than one or two years even if you are factoring in a TJ surgery.
    • No, the window is more important than just one year. Ten years vs. 1-2
    • Petition to have a separate trade forum for these types of discussions.
    • no, Miller can be as good as he wants, the elbow or shoulder injury is going to come so no not trading a top hitting prospect for him 
    • You see that's where you and I have a point of departure. I NEVER believe in making fear-based decisions that are informed by past pains/"traumas". You have to try to evaluate each decision as their own. Matt Weiters has absolutely ZERO to do with Adley Rutschman, except that both played catcher for the Orioles. Totally different games/styles, strengths and weaknesses. Weiters had a much better throwing arm than Rutschman has. That's it. Not other attribute was better. Adley is smaller in size, a better athlete by far, and a superior hitter in EVERY way. I also, don't agree with you take on assets. You can never have too many useful assets. It's better to have players that are acutally contributing to a championship (especially multiple championship runs) than it is to have insurance that you don't use for just in case scenarios. What if Adley doesn't get hurt? What if Mayo moves to RF and Kjerstad to DH. Where does Basallo play? Are you going to move him to 1B and jettison Mountcastle? That's fine. But then what would be the plan to obtain the requisite pitching talent? Do we need to have all-star type players at all 9 positions and how much is having that worth sacrificing top pitching talent?
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now